Tuesday, June 22, 2010

i DVD Problems

I burned my first project which was for the Rogers family of Kisha & Shalene's 10 year birthday party, Bobbi's talk at Shalene's baptism, and the snow outing that we had with their family. I burned the DVD and it played for a while on my DVD play, then became pixelated and froze. Disc menu would show up, but would not play two of the movies.

The disc plays just fine on my computer, although the menu does not appear at the first.

I have been researching what the problems could be. I found this on Apple Support:
DVD quality

1. iDVD 08 & 09 has three levels of qualities.
iDVD 6 has the two last ones
• Professional Quality (movies up to 120 min.) - BEST
• Best Performances (movies less than 60 min.) - High quality on final DVD
• High Quality (in iDVD08 or 09) / Best Quality (in iDVD6) (movies up to 120 min.) - slightly lower quality than above

2.Video from
• FCE/P - Export out as full quality QuickTime.mov (not selfcontaining, no conversion)
• iMovie x-6 - Don't use ”Share/Export to iDVD” = destructive even to movie project and especially so
when the movie includes photos. Instead just drop or import the iMovie movie project icon (with a Star on it) into iDVD theme window.
• iMovie’08 not meant to go to iDVD. Go via Media Browser or rather use iMovie HD 6 from start.

3. I use Roxio Toast™ to make an as slow burn as possibly eg x1 (in iDVD’08 or 09 this can also be set)
This can also be done with (Apple) Disk Util tool.

4. There has to be about or more than 25Gb free space on internal (start-up) hard disk. iDVD can't
use an external one as scratch disk (if it is not start-up disc).

5. I use Verbatim ( also recommended by many - Taiyo Yuden DVDs - I can’t get hold of it to test )

6. I use DVD-R (no +R or +/-RW)


7. Keep NTSC to NTSC - or - PAL to PAL when going from iMovie to iDVD

8. Don’t burn more than three DVD at a time - but let the laser cool off for a while befor next batch.

No comments:

Post a Comment